Sunday 24 October 2010

An adrenaline filled morning of departure ...

My flight back to Australia leaves at about 3 o'clock this afternoon, so I have plenty of time to pack, do the last minute things and go for a walk.  I got up at about 6 am, and headed out the door for a walk.  It was dark.  Very dark.  And cold.  I had a little debate with myself - "It's too dark."  "It's too cold."  "What if I run into a bear?!"  "It's quite scary out here."  And finally, "Don't be such a wuss."  However, my wussy side won and I turned around and had a cup of tea in front of the open fire.

7.45 am.  It was still cold outside but a lot lighter.  So, I set off on my walk with the two dogs.  Half way through my walk, I rounded a corner and through the trees, I spotted a big, black animal about 50 metres away.  "Holy sh*t!"  I thought to myself ... "it's a black bear!"  I took a minute to assess the situation.  The animal was looking at me.  It clearly was not a cow because there are no black cows on this ranch.  It was not a moose or a deer because I couldn't see its legs.  It was big and it was black and ... it must be a bear.  The dogs took off after it and I spun on my heels and went for the world record in power walking while my heart thumped wildly.

On my way home, I came across my neighbour, the resident cowboy, who was on his way out.  I asked him to check it out and get back to me.  By the time I got home, I received a text message ... it was a big moose with a calf.  I'm disappointed that I didn't hang around to watch the mum moose with her baby.  I drove back down to check it out but she was gone by the time I got there.  Now, wouldn't that be a story, seeing a black bear on my last morning in Canada?!  Oh well, there is always next year.

No comments: