Thursday 28 October 2010

What I'm reading ...

Eight days of reading.  What bliss.  Since I've re-commenced studying, I seem to spend all my free time reading text books and academic journal articles.  So, I'm excited about just reading for pleasure this week.


To Kill a Mockingbird - I've just finished re-reading this.  I think that it should be a compulsory read at least every couple of years.  It is so comforting to dive into a book that is so beautifully written and has such a wonderful story line.



Empire of the Sun - I've nearly finished this book.  I read most of it on the plane from Canada (when I wasn't conked out from wonderful herbal sleeping tablets).  It took a while to get into but once I was in, I was in.  Although the book is a novel, it is based on the life experiences of the author as a child during the Japanese invasion of Shanghai in the late 1930s and early 1940s.  The main character is very likeable and the language is beautifully descriptive. 




Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud - I started this book at a bad time, when I was frantically reading and writing for my last uni assignment.  I put it down because I felt that I wasn't giving the story justice with my distracted mind.  I intend to pick it up again this week.  It is the story of the author (who also wrote one of my favourites, A Year in Tibet) following Xuanzang's (a famous Chinese monk) trip in search of the origins of Buddhism.  A very inspiring story so far.



The Blind Assassin - The purchase of this book was a treat to myself for finishing my uni assignment.  Can't wait to dive into another Booker Prize winner.


Nine Parts of Desire - I stumbled across this book at my grandmother's house last night (she and I have such great reading discussions).  I have read Geraldine Brooks' novels but haven't touched any of her non-fiction books.  C. couldn't put the book down, so I'm hoping that he will buy it this week so I can read it while he is working!



Social-Emotional Curriculum With Gifted and Talented Students - Yes, I'm a nerd.  I couldn't resist buying this book at the conference I went to last week (more on this during the week).  Two of the editors were very inspirational speakers (and quirky characters) during the conference, so I'm looking to do a little bit of professional reading too.

No comments: