Sunday 12 June 2011

A cattle drive ...

 
Guiding the cows out of their paddock

On Friday, I took part in my first cattle drive of the year.  It was, in fact, my first time on a horse this year.  For one reason or another, I have missed most of the riding opportunities since I've been back in Canada.  It felt good to be back in the saddle, my first ever ride in a Western saddle.  It felt a little odd to ride in a Western saddle, I wasn't really sure what to do with my hands as the big horn at the front of the saddle was in the way.  It was a beautiful day for a ride  - sunny, with a slight breeze - although the cowboys were slightly concerned that it would be too hot for the cows, especially the calves, and they wouldn't move very fast.  Luckily, they were fairly keen to keep moving along the hilly country roads and we got them to their new home in about two hours.

Highway crossing achieved!

Keep Right?  The cows seem to be doing a pretty good job

I really enjoy the cattle drives and feel that I'm getting the hang of the jobs that need to be done.  My favourite job is riding in the middle of the herd,  helping to keep moving the cows along and chasing the stray ones out of the ditches at the side of the road.  My least favourite job is riding at the front of the herd, providing the direction for the cows to follow.  I'm more of an active cowgirl, riding at the front is boring!  Although the cattle drives are enjoyable, I do get slightly distressed by the noise of many of the cows.  It's quite a frantic time because many of the calves get separated from their mothers, which is unnerving for both mother and baby and they make some awful noises as they try to seek one another out.  I find it comforting to watch them reunite along the way and when we finally arrive at our destination. 

Mum and baby

Another mum and baby - this time, a moose!

Now, all the cows are in their summer home and there will be no more cattle drives until the end of the summer.  So, it's now time to move onto some polo playing!

Stopping for a cooling drink

Working dog takes a break in the water

A pretty pond along the way

"Where's my mummy?"

AD - That's me!

That's got to be uncomfortable!

Cattle At Large - That was us on Friday!

A beautiful horsey property

Finally there!

Mums and babies reunite in the lush paddock

See, I'm a real cowgirl - I'm riding in a Western saddle!

No comments: