Monday 20 June 2011

A day at Spruce Meadows ...

See how big they are?!
It's show-jumping season in Calgary!  For the next 2-3 months, there is a different event on every weekend at Spruce Meadows, one of the world's best show-jumping facilities.  I was excited to visit Spruce Meadows on Saturday for several reasons.  Firstly, I joined a tour of the facilities and got to go out onto the course to check out the jumps.  And, secondly, I was looking forward to testing out my new camera and getting some great action shots.  Having the opportunity to walk around the course was amazing.  The jumps were set up for the two classes that I was going to watch, with jumps with heights of 1.40m and 1.50m.  From a distance, it is hard to appreciate just how big and wide these jumps are.  It was quite amazing.  After walking the course, I settled in to watch about 60 rounds of show-jumping.  Brilliant.  It's such a terrific spectator sport because there is always something happening, the crowd ooos and ahhhs over the horses and riders and there are always a couple of spectacular spills to be witnessed.  The day certainly wet my appetite for the upcoming season and I think that Spruce Meadows is where I'll be found several weekends over the summer.  For now, please allow me to indulge by sharing some pictures of the day ...







Going ... 

... going ... 

... gone!






No comments: