Tuesday 28 June 2011

ID? At 30?

I got IDed on the weekend.  Not once, but twice.  And, no, I wasn't at a nightclub.  It was at the movies and the local RSL club.  Not the kind of places that you expect to get asked for ID.  

Little White Lies - well worth seeing if you get a chance

On Friday night, we went to see Little White Lies at the Uptown cinema, an old run-down movie theatre that shows mainly art-house and foreign language films.  My favourite.  However, movies that are usually rated M15+ in Australia have an R rating here, hence the reason why one might be asked for ID. The thought that I may possibly be under 18 is kind of flattering, I guess?!

Legions Club in downtown Calgary

On Saturday night, I wasn't expecting to be asked for ID at the local Legions Club (the Canadian equivalent to the Australian RSL).  We were there to see a band as part of the Sled Island Festival, a local music and art festival (yes, it's festival season in Calgary).  The IDing process became quite ridiculous when a girl in our group was refused entry for not having ID ... she is in her late 40s and has kids old enough to be attending the concert.  Crazy. I know that those asking for ID are just doing their job, but can't people just have a bit of common sense when it comes to working out whether someone in their 30s or 40s needs to show ID?

No comments: