Tuesday 14 June 2011

Mocktail hour ...

Mocktail hour on my new outdoor furniture on my balcony overlooking the horse paddocks

My month of non-drinking is going well.  So well in fact, that I may even be a little sad when it ends in just over a week's time.  Not drinking is forcing me to be creative with what I do drink when others are drinking celebratory glasses of champagne or warming glasses of red wine or thirst-quenching pints of beer.  Last week I discovered a mind-boggling variety of mocktail recipes with which I've been having fun experimenting and expanding my non-alcoholic drink repetoire.  Here are two that I tried on the weekend:


Blissful Bellini Mocktail:
1/2 cup peach nectar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
chilled sparkling apple cider

Mix peach nectar and lemon juice in a champagne flute.  Top with sparkling apple cider.


Pink Shampagne:
1 1/2 cups chilled sparkling apple cider
1 1/2 cups cherry flavoured mineral water (I used soda water mixed with pure cherry juice)
1 cup cranberry juice

Mix all ingredients and stir thoroughly.  Serve in a champagne flute.


My favourite was the first one, the bellini, because the lemon juice gave the drink a lovely citrusy kick.  But, at the dinner party we attended on Friday night, I was happy drinking either since they both were bubbly and served in a champagne flute!

No comments: