Tuesday 15 November 2011

'Bloodland' by Bangarra ...

Last year while I was in Sydney, I got quite hooked on going to see theatre productions, either at the Opera House, Sydney Theatre Company or Griffin Theatre Company.  I was lucky in that I was in the last few months of my twenties, so could take advantage of the cheap 'Under 30' tickets.  This year, however, I'm not so lucky and will have to pay full price for tickets, but there are a couple of shows that I will splurge on over the summer.

'Bloodland'

I started this year's Sydney cultural experience with a trip to the Sydney Theatre Company's Wharf to see a Bangarra Dance Company production of 'Bloodland' with Dad and his partner.  I had previously seen one of their performances in Melbourne and loved the way the combination of traditional and modern Aboriginal dance told the story.  However, this performance was somewhat more abstract and, at times, was difficult to follow.  The performance didn't have nearly as much dance as the other one I had seen, which was slightly disappointing as that I had enjoyed that aspect of the previous performance so much.  It was a very 'arty' theatre performance and, as a result, the more I thought about the performance, the more I enjoyed and appreciated it.  

Cate Blanchett in 'Gross und Klein'

The other performance that I've booked for the summer is a Sydney Theatre Company performance of 'Gross und Klein', starring Cate Blanchett.  I am super excited about seeing her on stage and also sharing the experience with my Mum.  I also have my eye on a couple of other shows that I might book for early next year.

No comments: