Friday 10 September 2010

The downside of accents ...



So many Canadians I have met on my travels seem to pride themselves on the fact that a) they can pick an Australian accent (often after predicting English or Kiwi first) and b) the fact that they have visited Australia before.  This is what typically happens when I am in a shop, being overheard by someone in a cafe etc.:

Canadian - Where are you from?

Me - Australia.

Canadian (with a self-satisfied grin) - I thought I could hear an Australian accent!  I went to Australia (insert number of years ... anywhere between 2 and 40) ago.  I went to Sydney, Melbourne and the Great Barrier Reef.

Me (with a polite smile) - Oh, that sounds lovely.


Canadian - Australia is a beautiful place.  It's so big, just like Canada.

Me - I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Yes, it is a  big country.


Canadian - All the Australians I met were so friendly.

Me - Yes, Australians are friendly, aren't they?  Canadians are the same.

Canadian - Blah, blah, blah.

Me - I have to go now.  Have a great day.

It gets a little tiring sometimes.  Life in China was much easier in this regard - because most people didn't speak English, there was no repetitive conversations such as the above ... the Chinese just assume anyone with white skin is American.  Mind you, sometimes this repetition results in a really interesting conversation, but for the most part, I just want to get on with my day - I don't really need to listen to tales of a touristy trip to Australia (especially when more often than not, Tasmania is missed off the list). So, my new solution?

Canadian - Where are you from?

Me - Calgary.

Canadian (with a confused look) - Oh.

Problem solved.

1 comment:

Melindaaaaaaa :) said...

LOL LOL LOL! That is all...just LOL! I had a minute to check in and I'm glad I did! The same would happen in Australia EXCEPT Canada isn't as exotic a place to visit as Australia is :P I love that you say 'Calgary' though! Way to stereotype us...maybe you could have been more specific and wrote "Cowperson (or girl/boy)" since that's what everyone out West is :P
OH, and I hope this dope bust won't affect any of my summer hobbies... :P