Friday 19 August 2011

Goodbye old homes, hello McMansions ...

Old homes like this are being torn down ...

One of my favourite inner city things to do is to walk around the local streets.  When I walk into downtown from C's house, I always try to choose a different route to take so that I see something new.  Maybe it's nosy, but I just love checking out homes and gardens.  Unfortunately, Calgary doesn't have that many lovely homes to look at (at least, not in the areas I visit, despite them being nice neighbourhoods) - too many small windows and odd shaped extensions for my liking.  In C's neighbourhood, there are a number of old homes still left, tiny little places, mostly on big blocks of land.  Unfortunately, many of these homes are being torn down to make way for either two, mostly adjoined, homes on the one block ('in-fills' they are called) or one huge, McMansion style home.  The home above is on C's street and it makes me feel sad to walk past it, knowing that it won't be there for much longer and instead, in its place will be something big, (probably) dark and (probably) ugly.  All in the name of 'progress', I guess!

... and replaced with monstrosities like this

No comments: