Friday 5 August 2011

An unexpected visit ... and a truckload of cherries ...

Peachland!  Yum!

During our trip to the Okanagan we had an unexpected surprise when my Hungarian friends, J and A emailed me inviting us to visit their friends in Peachland, just south of Kelowna, the Okanagan's main town.  So, on Tuesday afternoon, we rocked up on the doorstep of I and T's retirement property, a beautiful 6 acre property filled with vineyards, fruit trees, vegetable gardens and a spectacular view.

New friends, I and T

Picking cherries

It's always a bit awkward arriving on the doorstep of a stranger's home, but in no time we were all feeling comfortable and enjoying wine and cheese on their beautiful deck overlooking the lake.  Since my Grandfather immigrated from Hungary to Australia in the 1950s, I'm always keen to hear about other Hungarian immigrants stories.  I really enjoyed listening to I and T recount their immigration experience many years ago and the interesting life they have led here in Canada.

Spot my fellow cherry picker!

A dainty basket for the girl cherry picker

After several hours of chatting, drinking and eating, I and T invited us to pick some cherries from their two fruit laden trees.  Already this summer, I and T have sold over 100 kg of cherries to the local supermarket.  It was hard to believe just how much fruit was still on the trees.  We picked cherries for quite some time, with me employing a strict 'one for me, one for the bucket' policy.  We ended up picking around 20 kg of cherries, about 10 of which ended up in our car!  Lucky us!

Heading back to the house with our bounty

The view from our wine and cheese spot

Both C and I felt very lucky to have been able to spend the afternoon with such a lovely couple ... and the cherries were a huge bonus as well!  

No comments: