Wednesday 31 August 2011

The Bow River float ...


You may remember me writing about the dismal summer that we had in 2010 here in Calgary.  There were very few days worthy of donning shorts and t-shirts.  This summer, however, has been a completely different story.  Since about the middle of July, the days have been absolutely stunning.  Blue skies, full sun and temperatures ranging, very pleasantly, from the mid to high 20s.  Thanks to the warm weather, I've noticed people participating in a warm-weather-only activity that seems to be the thing to do in downtown Calgary on a hot summer day ... floating down the Bow River in an inflatable raft.  It looks wonderfully fun.  On the weekends, it is not uncommon to see dozens of rafts floating down the river, filled with life jacket clad sun-seekers.  The silly ones who choose to forgo the life jackets are often pulled over by the water police and it's quite amusing to watch the culprits as they pull their rubber boats out of the water and slink off into the riverside bushes.  Every time I walk into the city, I remind myself that I really need to give the Bow River float a go before the weather turns.  However, I may have been too late because this week, the weather has turned grey, cold and wet, so I may have to wait until the summer of 2012 to do the Bow River float.



No comments: