Thursday 25 August 2011

A sad sock story ...


 It all started last weekend when I got blisters after our hike.  I've never had hiking blisters before - my boots (brand: Scarpa) are so incredibly comfortable, blisters have never dared raise their ugly heads.  So, it must have been my socks, which upon closer examination were very threadbare and bobbly.  It was then that I realised that I've had them for quite a long time ... in fact, I think that my mother purchased them for Year 7 camp ... in 1993.  That's 18 years ago.  A ridiculously long time to keep a pair of socks.  Those socks (I have 3-4 pairs of the same vintage) have seen me through school camps, my GAP year in the UK, hundreds of hours of horse riding, many cold (heater-not-working) nights in China and now, nearly two summers of hiking in the Canadian Rockies.  So, it's time for some new ones - tonight, I'm heading to Mountain Equipment Coop to stock up on new hiking socks.  However, I'm not sure I can bear to throw the old ones out - I may just keep the red and blue pairs (my favourites) for those cold Canadian nights.

No comments: