Monday 23 February 2009

Hao chi! (Delicious!)

Yummy summer fruits ..... in winter?! All this fruit for about $10 - very expensive for China, but so cheap for Western prices.

Since I began spending a lot of time at Anita and Ben's farm, 'Wild About Fruit', in Coldstream, some years ago, I learnt a lot about the production and selling of fruit. In particular, I learnt about the value of eating seasonal fruits and vegetables. Seasonal fruit however seems to be a little different here in Wuxi as the best fruits to buy at the moment are all summer fruits - pineapple, mangoes and strawberries. It certainly feels a little strange to be eating such yummy, juicy fruits when it is wet, cold and miserable outside!

My local fruit store.

I always visit the same fruit store, normally 2-3 times a week, and always after I've been to the gym. I have been trying to practise my Mandarin on the store owner and she is always so patient with me. We seem to be able to communicate successfully with a combination of poor Mandarin and a lot of sign language. She always thinks it's funny when I come in on my bike, with my face red and sweaty!

What amazing service!!

I try not to think too much about where the fruit has actually come from, preferring to wash it thoroughly and enjoy the taste. The only orchards and vegetable gardens I have ever seen here have always been next to the dirty canals or factories pumping out loads of pollution into the air, and no doubt onto the fruits and vegetables. I have also heard other disturbing things about fruit and vegetable farming - apparently, they dye the soil or the actual vegetable to ensure that it looks fresh and colourful! Hmmm, no more unpeeled fruit and vegetables for me then! Lovely fruit lady!

No comments: