Wednesday 9 June 2010

Cowgirl Anna .....


Grainy pictures .... I'm the cowgirl in the middle

That's right, after helping with yesterday's cattle drive, I can confidently say I'm a cowgirl!  I may not have the boots or the hat (yet), but I was able to help maneuver 200 cows from one ranch to the other before the rain set in.  Under the guidance of twelve cowboys and several cowgirls, I did what I was told, leading the cows and blocking gateways along the road.   Like with the branding, the noise level was high as the mothers frantically searched for their babies, sometimes running backwards into the pack to find them.  We rode for about 2 hours and once the cows were safely in their new paddock, the beers were cracked open. Unfortunately, I then had to go and teach, so declined the offer of beer.  The Calgary Stampede is coming up in early July and perhaps now I will be able to go along not feeling like too much of a cowgirl fraud and more like the real deal?!


Leading the cows along the country roads


At the end of the cattle drive - happy cows and their babies

2 comments:

jean said...

Driving cattle was my favourite thing to do on the farm! That is awesome that you have been able to do that. xo

Anna Davidson said...

It was so much fun Jean! I loved it, can't wait till the next one! xxx