Tuesday 15 June 2010

Wet weather motivation ....

After a whole weekend of stunning weather, the sun has disappeared behind a heavy layer of grey cloud and rain.  Finding motivation to exercise in the wet and cold weather is difficult and every evening, the excuses run through my mind, tempting me to stay indoors - "It's cold", "I'm tired", "I'll go tomorrow" - and I have to force myself to get out the door.  Enter the 'lazy run'.  I developed this term a few weeks ago when I was having the mental will I?/won't I? battle.  For me, the 'lazy run' is 'I'll just run to the end of the drive and back'.  It doesn't sound like much but it's actually nearly a 6 km run, all up hill on the way home.  And generally, once I get going, I feel so good that I normally run it in a decent time, despite the fact that it was meant to be a 'lazy run'.


Not every day can be as perfect as this ....

My second motivation tool for the wet weather is my recent purchase of a gymstick.  I first came across this nifty little invention a few years ago when participating in my brother's outdoor training sessions.  The gymstick is perfect for me for several reasons.  Firstly, I can do some strength work inside on wet days (does exercising in front of the open fire appeal to anyone?), it is small enough (I purchased the telescopic version) to pack into my bag for when I travel and lastly, it means that I don't have to purchase an expensive gym membership.  It really is true that the motivation is all in your mind, so for all you Australians who are lacking winter exercise motivation, get out there and do a 'lazy run' or purchase a gymstick.  No one ever regrets doing a work out once it's over!


No comments: