Monday 14 June 2010

Kananaskis Country .....

Now, is that pretty, or what?

Kananaskis is an Indian word meaning 'meeting of the waters' and it was to the Kananaskis River that I headed yesterday.  With a book and my running gear packed, I had no real plan as I set off in the general direction of Kananaskis.  There are just so many choices for walking and running in the areas surrounding the Canadian Rockies.  My only real limitation is the fact that I am by myself and therefore can't really do any of the trails where there is a high likelihood of encountering wildlife such as bears, cougars and coyotes.  But, there are plenty of other trails that are perfect.

Kananaskis River


Guess what is on my to-do list now?

I spent the late morning strolling along the banks of the Kananaskis River, stopping at various places to read for a bit in the sun and later enjoying my lunch next to one of the many rapids, watching the kayakers and rafters heading down the river.  The combination of the snow capped mountains, lush green forest and fast running river was just magical.


The river runs so fast


The mountains peek through the trees


Kayak slalom course


Perfect shady spot to read a book

In the late afternoon, I headed further down the highway to Barrier Lake where I went for an amazing 8 km run along the lake edge and through the forest.  Many running articles describe trail running as making you feel like a kid again and that is exactly how it feels.  You feel like a child, just running for pleasure and joy, rather than an adult undertaking a 'serious' run focussing on distance and speed.  It is a very free feeling to just run with no set plans, particularly through such beautiful scenery.  Just like hiking, you need to concentrate on where you place your feet because of the unstable footing but there is some excitement in not knowing what the terrain is going to be like (is that a little weird?!).  My only regret for the run was not taking some water with me.  After so much cold weather, running in the heat came as a shock to my system.  So, now that I am beginning to do some more trail running, it may be time to invest in a Camelbak and some trail running shoes.  


Barrier Lake



Perfect running location


I really need to learn the names of all these mountains


Barrier Lake is a hydro dam


The colour of the water is magnificent

No comments: