Tuesday 29 June 2010

Getting to 'the island' ....

Sea plane taking off

My life just seems to go from one adventure to the other at the moment.  I am truly very lucky to have these opportunities.  The next adventure came in the form of a seaplane and my arrival at the family's island in the Gulf Islands of Canada (maps below).  From Vancouver, I caught a small sea plane to Salt Spring Island.  It was a 25 minute ride and such a fun experience.  The view from the plane was stunning and it was hard to believe that I was going to be living on one of these islands for the next two weeks and then on and off again over the summer.  When I arrived, the family were waiting in their boat to pick me up for the 10 minute trip to their home, Deadman Island.  I arrived to a true island paradise (photos to follow).


As you can see, Vancouver residents are very original and creative in their housing design


Approaching the Gulf Islands


Getting closer ....


.... and closer ....


.... and finally here

For the non-Canadians out there, here are a couple of maps to give you an idea of where the islands are actually situated ..... 

The Gulf Islands - Salt Spring Island is one of the biggest of the islands


Salt Spring Island - the family's islands are located in the Ganges Harbour

1 comment:

Jared said...

Flying on a float plane has got to be one of the most awesome things you can do!

Sounds like you're certainly having adventures, and the Gulf Islands and BC will certainly be an excellent chapter for you :)