Tuesday 8 June 2010

The Eddies .....





Move over Eddie McGuire, there is another famous Eddie in the world, although this one probably gets more loving from the public, after all he does own a beer company (and probably doesn't make inappropriate remarks about Olympians).  Introduce Ed McNally, founder of the Big Rock Brewery, a local Calgary beer.  Last night was my first experience of Big Rock beer (it's good) and Ed McNally (yes, I met him in person .... before I knew who he was).  I happened to receive a last minute invitation to attend The Eddies, a send up of the Academy Awards, but for beer commercials - take that Eddie McGuire, you may be everywhere in Australia but do you have an awards ceremony named after you?

The MC and Ed McNally

Not really knowing what I was going to experience, I willingly went along with the lure of free beer (all their beer is named after various wildlife - grasshopper, warthog and the new beer, gopher).  Little did I know how amusing the night would be.  Each year, people enter The Eddies competition with print and digital advertisements for the Big Rock beer.  The result is some incredibly creative and hilarious advertisements.  You can view the winning entries here.  I highly recommend that you take the time to look at the video entries in particular, they are very amusing (warning - the second place winning entry is  a little crude).  Perhaps Eddie McGuire can take a leaf out of Ed McNally's book - what a classy, dignified and hugely popular man in Canada!

No comments: