Friday 28 September 2012

The (running) commute ...

Downtown Calgary in the distance

 Since I've been back at work, C and I have been experimenting with one car.  It's worked pretty well since our workplaces are relatively close to one another and C has been biking to work regularly.  But now that the weather is getting cooler (especially in the mornings), C is winding down the biking and we've been driving to work together.  Which makes things tricky in the afternoons since I like to either leave work super early (3.30pm) or late (6.30pm) to beat the traffic.  So, on days that C has needed the car, I've been running home!  I don't know why I didn't look into it earlier because I am absolutely loving it.  I can leave work whenever I want, knowing that I'm not going to get stuck in traffic and I'm also arriving home with my daily workout complete!  The run is about 9 kilometres and the first half is all through parkland, high up on a cliff above the Elbow River, which has been particularly pretty with the changing colours of the trees.  The second half is along a busy road but I like to people watch as I run (as well as feeling a little smug that I'm passing all those people sitting in traffic!)  It feels so light and free to run home without being laden down by a laptop, iPad, wallet etc.  Just me, my house keys, some music and a small bottle of water.  The technology-free evenings have also been a bonus.  I think I'll be able to continue doing this a couple of times a week all year long (providing of course that the bitter winter temperatures and snow don't put me off) which will do wonders for both my physical and mental health.


Beautiful autumn colours

Elbow River

Looking down towards the Sandy Beach area

(Just this week though we've decided to purchase a 'new' car as an opportunity came up for us to purchase C's dad's car.  It arrives next week!)

No comments: