Thursday 18 November 2010

The complexities of tipping ...

Recently, I read an article in Sydney’s Sun Herald newspaper about the reputation of Australians  being tight when it comes to tipping overseas.  It got me thinking about my experiences of tipping in North America.  On one of my first nights in Canada, I went to dinner by myself, enjoyed my meal, paid for it (with no tip) and left.  As I handed over the cash (and expressed my satisfaction with the meal), the young waitress gave me an odd look.  It was only later on when I was reading up about Canadian customs in the Lonely Planet, that I realised the error of my way.  I was so embarrassed that I haven’t been back to that restaurant since.

Our culture simply is not a tipping culture.  Of course, if the service has been absolutely amazing, one leaves a tip.  But, in North America, a tip is expected regardless of how good the service was.  Generally, a 15% tip is expected but many restaurants simply add 18% to the bill if you are part of a large group.  My argument is that if the service is crappy, you don’t leave a tip.  Others argue that, to show your disappointment, you leave a very small tip (say, 5-8%).  North American service staff are generally paid a pretty low salary, so they rely on tips to top up their wage.  However, this is still not an excuse for poor service.

As the article pointed out, it is not that Australians don’t want to tip.  Rather, the way in which the tip is delivered is often complex.  Tipping in restaurants is easy because you simply add the tip to your bill.  But, what about bartenders, cleaning staff and bell hops?  When I was travelling in the USA, these situations made me feel very uncomfortable.  How do you give the staff a tip?  Do you leave it on the bed or quietly slip it to them?  How do you know what the right amount is?  And what about doormen?  Are you expected to tip them each time they open the door for you?  Oh, the complexities of tipping and not being seen as a tight arse.

No comments: