Wednesday 24 November 2010

Under 30 = $30 ...

'The Grenade' ... a Tony McNamara play I'm seeing tonight with a $30 ticket

In exactly three months, I will turn 30.  I've never really worried too much getting older but recently, a small thing got me thinking about it.  Whilst in Brisbane, when booking tickets to 'When the Rain Stops Falling', I realised that I could get a ticket for $30, just because I was under 30.  I didn't think too much of it until last week, when I was looking at the Sydney Opera House website, searching for some fun things to do over the summer.  And, I noticed that many of the plays offered $30 tickets for those under 30.  How had I gone so long without realising this great offer?  My first thought was, "I'd better start going to the theatre more".  Then I realised that I only had a few more months to take advantage of this amazing offer.  Which began a snowball effect and I began to worry about everything related to turning 30.  Sometimes I worry because I don't feel like a 'grown-up' - I'm not married; I don't own a house, in fact I really don't have many valuable material assets at all; I spend all my money travelling; I don't have children.  But then I think of the wonderful and unusual things that I am doing with my life and feel better.  I feel even better when I read that Bernard Salt thinks the teenage years are extended to the age of 29 ... so I have a valid reason for my lack of maturity (if maturity is measured by wedding rings, children and houses).  In the meantime, I plan to spend my last three months of being a teenager by seeing countless plays at the small cost of $30 a ticket, starting tonight with 'The Grenade'.

No comments: