Monday 15 November 2010

Yoga ...

This was me yesterday ... on fire during yoga

I decided to try yoga on the weekend.  I haven't  done yoga for about 5 or 6 years, so I was slightly apprehensive but since I'm keen to do a little more work on my strength and flexibility (in the hope for long, lean muscles!), I thought I'd give it a go.   I decided to try a yoga studio near my house (and there are plenty of them here in Manly) that was advertising an introductory special of $20 for 10 days.  The yoga wasn't advertised as being of the bikram variety (which is held in a 40 degree room), so I got a real surprise when I learnt that the room was going to be heated to 30 degrees.  So, not only did I look like a clumsy monkey as I tried to maintain my balance while I twisted (well, attempted to) my body into unnatural positions, but I was dripping with sweat.  By the time I left, I looked like I'd been drenched in a downpour of rain.  And my face was the colour of a tomato.  My feeling of awkwardness was not helped by the fact that my mat was positioned in between a window to the entrance of the studio and an anorexic girl with the flexibility of a rubber band.  But ... when I left, I felt AMAZING.  I was energetic, my skin and eyes were bright and clear.  It was a wonderful feeling.

No comments: