Wednesday 13 July 2011

Around the fabric market ...

Fabric market for the locals

During my time in Shanghai, I made several trips to the fabric market.  I love going to the fabric market, there is something exciting and special about selecting the fabric, choosing a design and having something created just for you.  Before I left Canada, I printed off several pictures of dresses from some of my favourite clothing stores, Banana Republic, Gap and Anthropologie, ready to have a Chinese tailor whip them up for me.  I ended up getting thirteen dresses made, all of which look great.  I selected a mix of fabrics, including cotton, silk, linen and a cotton/silk combination.  In total, I spent about $500 on these dresses, a bargain, given that in the store, each dress would be at least $100-$200.

Tailors

Fabric for sale

I had to make several trips back to have things fitted and re-fitted.  On my last visit, as I waited for the tailor to put the final touches on my new clothes, I headed out into the neighbourhood for a wander.  After walking only a few blocks, I found myself at another fabric market, this one directed towards locals - fabric was piled high on tarps on the street and the tailors worked in open-fronted buildings facing the street.  Deeper into the neighbourhood, I came across a local wet market, where locals were going about their daily grocery shopping.


Typical Chinese scene - bikes and clothes drying

Beautiful old building in a state of disrepair

It was an unexpected discovery and it certainly made the time fly as I waited for my clothes to be finished.  I left the fabric market and the area surrounding it with not only a new summer wardrobe, but a lovely cultural experience as well!

Girls doing their homework on the footpath

Fish anyone?

Mmmm, veggies!

Eels?!

Poultry

Ginger and garlic

Delicious street omlettes

Hanging out the washing

A side street

Lady making shoes

The local knife sharpener

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh that would have been neat! I can just imagine the things those tailors can make, I've heard they are incredibly talented! Wonder if they know how to make riding habits?? lol

Anna Davidson said...

Michelle, I think that they would be able to make a riding habit if you were there and showed them a sample. They're pretty clever!