Tuesday 12 July 2011

Changning district, Shanghai ...

Dingxi Street

I'm back from China!  Unfortunately, I was unable to blog whilst I was away, thanks to the Great Fire Wall of China, but even if that hadn't prevented me from writing, I was so busy, I doubt I would have had time.  The week in China simply sped by, filled with fun activities, and the down time I did have was filled with resting, as the weather really zapped my energy - 35 to 38 degrees every day with high humidity.  We stayed in a lovely hotel in the Changning district of Shanghai, just on the outskirts of the old European settlements, which meant that the streets were beautifully lined with trees and there were many old European buildings tucked away behind tall walls.

Wuyi Street

Woman in trouble for selling fruit on the street

I spent several mornings wandering the district, watching the locals go about their daily business.  That is one of my favourite things to do in China, just wandering and observing.  You see so many interesting things that way, and have so many lovely, unexpected interactions.

Man about to get into trouble for selling fruit on the street

Man in trouble and on his way

Our hotel was right next to Zhongshan Park, a huge green area, filled with small paths that wound their way through past ponds and rockeries.  In the hot weather, the Chinese use these parks extremely well.  Old men rest under trees or play games in the squares, old women chat amongst one another as they fan themselves and young couples kiss and cuddle in the secret corners of the park.  Zhongshan Park also has a restaurant inside it, where C's business partners took us for dinner one evening.

Just hanging out on a hot Shanghai morning

Another man with the same idea

It was fun to explore a new area of Shanghai on this short trip, particularly an area that is not very touristy.  Over the next week or so, I'll post more pictures and stories about what I saw and did in China, because it certainly was an action packed week!

Moving house?

Another group moving house?

Bikes, bikes and more bikes

A laneway

Children of the Mao era?

Wall panels on Wuyi Street

Washing day in the Changning District

Tai Chi in Zhongshan Park (view from our hotel room)

Zhongshan Park

Zhongshan Park

Traditional Chinese music in Zhongshan Park

Old men hanging out in Zhongshan Park

Men playing board games (and eating watermelon) in Zhongshan Park

Girl snoozing in Zhongshan Park

More men playing games and keeping cool in Zhongshan Park

No comments: