Friday 29 July 2011

To the east, to the west ...

I know, I know, I'm always on holidays.  Whilst it's not my choice, I'm certainly not going to turn them down!  I'm taking advantage of them to get out and about and see Canada.  Starting today, I have 10 days off and C is taking some time off work, so we're heading off on two little adventures.

The first adventure, which begins tomorrow morning, takes us on a 7-8 hour (car) journey over the Rockies and into British Columbia.  There, we will spend three days lakeside, soaking up some rays, visiting the nearby wineries and fruit farms and generally hanging out.

The second adventure takes us east into the prairies.  We spend one night in a tiny little town that is famous for its theatre productions of WO Mitchell's books (he's the guy who wrote 'Who Has Seen the Wind' and other stories set on the prairies).  After our country cultural experience, we head to a friend's lakeside cottage (that's 'shack' for the Aussies in the crowd) where we will enjoy a few days of eating, drinking and being merry in the sun.

At first, I was kind of disappointed that our journey wasn't taking us into the mountains (we planned to go to Montana, but being the height of summer, all accommodation was booked out) but now, I'm super excited about visiting parts of Canada that I haven't ventured to yet.  And, as for the ridiculous amount of time off I get, I'm just going to make the most of it!

No comments: