Monday 25 July 2011

The Peace Hotel ...

The Peace Hotel (from the Bund)


On our last night in China, C and I had dinner with some Australian friends from my time in Wuxi before wandering along Nanjing Road, headed for the newly renovated Bund.  For the whole time that I lived in China, the Bund was under renovation in preparation for 2010's Expo.  I was excited about seeing the finished product.  I was a little disappointed actually - it was nice but, for me, it didn't have the 'wow' factor I was expected.  The real surprise was when we stumbled across the Peace Hotel which, like the Bund, had been closed for renovation for quite some time.  We were both excited to wander inside the famous hotel.  Even more wonderful was when we entered the beautiful bar to find an old Chinese jazz band playing.  It simply called for us to order a glass of bubbles to enjoy whilst being taken back to the glamorous days of Shanghai in the 1930s.  Enjoy this short video of the experience ... 



No comments: