Wednesday 21 September 2011

The commute ...

The early days of commuting in China - I'm still wearing a helmet!  That didn't last for long!

For most of my career, I've had a very easy time getting to my workplace.  For the most part, I've been able to walk or ride a bike to work.  The best commute was when I lived in China when I never knew what would happen on the 20 minute bike ride to work.  But now, my years of easy commuting have been replaced by a two hour round trip.  The reason for the long commute?  About 6 weeks ago, C and I decided that it was ridiculous for us to be half living at each others' places.  We decided it would be easier (and more fun) if we just lived together in the one home.  So, now I'm officially a resident of the lovely Calgarian suburb of Hillhurst, right near the Bow River and a 20 minute walk from downtown.  Unfortunately, however, it means that I am now living about 65 km from my work.  Hence the long commute.  Luckily, my commute is against the traffic so it's a relatively smooth journey.  I'm also lucky that it's pretty drive - out of the city, over the foothills and towards the mountains.  However, I only have another three weeks of this commute and then I'll be off to Australia (after a three week holiday), where my commute to work is a 20 minute walk along the beach!

No comments: