Tuesday 13 September 2011

A Victorian weekend ...

Leaving Fulford Harbour

This past Friday afternoon, I headed to Victoria (by Model A car, ferry and bus) for a weekend break from island life.  On Friday afternoon/evening, I explored Chinatown where I discovered that, after living in China, I will always be disappointed with Chinese food outside of China.  I also rummaged through some of the many thrift stores in Victoria, settling on several books and an old record - 'Rolf Harris in Vancouver Town' (!) - for C.  I discovered a new tea shop called DAVIDsTEA, where I tasted many teas but settled on one package of herbal tea, 'Northern Lights' and one package of green tea, 'Lime Gelato.'  I finished my Friday night wander with a movie, 'The Help', which I can highly recommend, but be sure to take your tissues.  I slept at Ocean Island Backpackers in a small, comfortable but mighty hot room.

If you look closely, you can see Mt Baker (US) in the background - totally covered in snow, year round

Ferry to Vancouver

I began Saturday with a baguette and a delicious chocolate quinoa cupcake whilst watching the activity on the harbour front - boats coming and going, tourists sipping their Starbucks and the Natives setting up their stalls of junky trinkets to sell to unsuspecting tourists.  Here, on the harbourfront, I read my book for several hours before giving in to the delights of the Empress Hotel and spending some time wandering through the hotel and its lovely courtyards.  I contemplated going for 'high tea', but declined when I saw the $60 price tag that accompanied the experience.  In the afternoon, I wandered from cafe to cafe, seeking sunny places to (reluctantly) read about qualitative research.  In the evening, I met with C's parents for a delicious Thai dinner before crashing at their place.


Red buoy

Fan Tan Alley - Canada's narrowest street

Sunday's activities were in the hands of C's parents.  In the morning, we drove up Mt Tolmie and enjoyed views over downtown Victoria, the Gulf Islands (Canada) and the San Juan Islands (USA).  For the rest of the day, we focused on food.  We visited the market gardens and stocked up on local, fresh fruits and vegetables before heading to Sidney Harbour to eat.  We dined on fresh halibut tacos and local beer at the Rumrunner pub.  Sidney Harbour was beautiful but not quite so large or iconic as the Sydney Harbour.  In the early evening, I met up with 'the family' and we boated back to Deadman Island.  It was the perfect weekend escape from island life.  Now, I have just one more week to enjoy the island before I head back to the ocean-less Calgary.

Chinatown, the oldest in Canada

Breakfast view

And another breakfast view

Parliament House which lights up at night in the most spectacular way

The mighty Empress Hotel

A courtyard of the Empress Hotel

Downtown Victoria - look, no high rises!

Fresh corn

Boats and baskets at Sidney Harbour

Passionfruit flower

Sidney Harbour, beautified

On the way home, BC ferry in the background

Just hanging out near Deadman Island

It's a nice evening for a sail, except for the fact that there is no wind!

Perhaps a better night for a kayak?

No comments: