Wednesday 14 September 2011

'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' ...


This is one of the books that I purchased in a Victorian thrift store on the weekend.  I was initially intrigued by the title and thought to purchase it for C, who likes odd books, particularly non-fiction.  Little did I realise how much I would enjoy this quirky novel.  I read the blurb and the first few pages and was hooked.  The opening paragraph reads:

Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamorous blond Ukrainian divorcee.  He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six.  She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside.

So, in the end, I bought it for myself (it was a big purchase, all of $1.95).  I began reading Friday evening and finished Sunday evening.  Not a common occurence now that I am studying.  'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' is well worth the read if you're after a funny, somewhat sad and delightful family story.

No comments: