Sunday 1 March 2009

......and I can make dumplings!

My first dumplings! I did get better!

After learning to make sushi on Saturday night, I was thrilled to learn have the opportunity to learn how to make Chinese dumplings on Sunday afternoon at Kiki's place. Kiki is heading back to Germany soon, so she hosted a farewell afternoon of cooking and eating at her place. Everyone had to bring something to cook from their home country. I always feel a bit embarrassed at things like this because Australia doesn't really seem to have a dish that it can truly call its own (apart from vegemite perhaps?!), we seem to have stolen most dishes from other countries. So, I went for the simple fruit salad and ice cream!

Kiki with her work colleague and the cake!
Cooking dishes that we would normally cook at home (eg. roasts, cakes etc.) is quite difficult here in China as none of the apartments have ovens in them. You have to buy small bench top ovens if you want to cook in an oven. So, it was an extremely good effort of Kiki to be able to bake a real cake in the bench top oven!

Cutting the cake.

After an afternoon of eating, I headed across the road to the massage centre for a 90 minute foot massage whilst watching a comedy DVD. It is always such a relaxing way to finish the weekend and get ready for another busy week ahead.

Enjoying the cake.

No comments: