Wednesday 18 March 2009

A new career path? Or maybe just a new hobby.....

'The Lonely Planet Story' - great inspiration!

I have been reading 'The Lonely Planet Story' at the moment, which details the development of the Lonely Planet brand, from a two person business operating out of a kitchen, to a multi national company with hundreds (maybe thousands) of employees. When I bought the book, I simply thought it would be a good read (which it is - part travel, part biography, part business book) but it's actually got me thinking about future career paths.

Rongbuk Monastery and Mount Everest.

I never thought that I would be in teaching forever - I always hated seeing teachers who had been teaching the same year level at the same school in the same way for 20-30 years. It simply makes me shudder. Whilst I know that I won't end up like that, already having had very different experiences in education in my short career, I still can't see myself in the classroom until I retire. So, what should I do next? Several thoughts have often crossed my mind - use my second degree more usefully and become a personal trainer (maybe I could go into business with my brother?!), work with horses (a hard life and not a lot of income), become a professional university student (I love writing essays)?! Who knows.

Artificial lake near Gyantse, Tibet.

The idea of travel writing had never really crossed my mind until yesterday morning when I received an email from a travel company whose newsletter I subscribe to. The featured article was entitled, 'So you want to be a travel writer?' Well, no, I'd never thought about that until then. I read the article and it got me thinking - I love writing this blog (much more than I ever thought I would) and I love travel, so maybe I could combine the two?

Autumn time at the Great Wall.
So, what am I going to do about it? Well, I have already been approached to have my blog featured on a new travel website, Ruba (http://www.ruba.com/) and asked to trial some of their new features on the site. I will give that a go and see what happens. There is always the Wuxilife magazine here in Wuxi who are always looking for writers, according to the latest magazine. I will email them and ask a few more questions. And, apparently Lonely Planet have published a book about travel writing - so there is another excuse for some more internet shopping (I only buy things so that I get parcels in the mail, it's so exciting when I do!).

Morning time in Yandi, near Yangshuo.

So, travel writing is a new hobby to add to my list of things to do in my (decreasing) spare time along with training for the Great Wall half marathon (see my other blog, http://gallivantingalongthegreatwall.blogspot.com/), eating out, having massages, learning Chinese, thinking about beginning my Masters and travelling. Wish me luck in my new adventure!

1 comment:

Fi said...

This is a great idea Anna (I also want to be a writer one day - of what, I'm not sure yet...) so make sure you keep us posted with how you go - I can't wait to buy a magazine or book with your published work in it!! :)