Sunday 29 March 2009

Hey, I live in China!

Hong Kong at night.

Yep, that's right - I live in China! Sometimes it's a little hard to believe that I do actually live here. Five years ago, if someone had told me that I'd be living in China now, I wouldn't have believed them.

At the Olympics! Potala Palace.
I feel so lucky for the opportunities that I have had whilst I've been here. At work, I've been thrown into two completely different roles, that of ESL teacher and PYP co-ordinator, both challenges that are frustrating and enjoyable at the same time. Living here has provided so many opportunities - learning Mandarin and meeting so many amazing people, all from completely different backgrounds. The travel has been fantastic and although I have always loved it, I'm becoming more and more addicted here, constantly thinking of where to go next. Mt. Everest.
Yandi to XingPing.
Before arriving in China, I had never had the urge to travel to the Middle Kingdom, but now that I'm here, my mind has been opened to so many unique Chinese experiences beyond the Great Wall and the panda bears. The warmth and generosity I have experienced from so many people on my travels has been uplifting, and far out weighs the pitfalls of living here - the stares and occasional rudeness. My new goal is to travel to every Chinese province at least once.
Great Wall with Rob.
Good friends.
A new adventurer from NZ arrived on the weekend (welcome Ricardo!) and it's only when someone new arrives that I realise that the sights I once found strange and scary are just so normal now. On Saturday night, we were sitting in the cab on the way home and while the three girls were busily chatting away, poor Ricardo was clutching his seat, face white with terror, as the cab went into the lane of oncoming traffic, the driver's hand firmly on the horn. To us, that situation is totally normal, but to a newcomer, it is totally bizarre and terrifying!
More good friends.
Fun times in Shanghai.
Whilst sometimes the 'Oh my goodness, I live in China!' thought hits me, so too does the 'Oh my goodness, I am so far away from my family and I miss them!' thought. Last night I had one of those moments (note to self - don't drink wine at home by yourself when feeling tired and a little emotional). I probably had this thought for several reasons - I had spoken to my mum and grandmother who were on their way out to a family dinner, my mum is heading off to Italy on Wednesday to meet up with Rob, my other brother is having an operation tomorrow, I haven't spoken to my dad for a bit and I desperately miss my animals. I miss playing with the dogs and it's coming up to the first anniversary of Dookie's (my horse) death, which will be a sad day for me. So, after two glasses of Everton, the tears were flowing.
The pretty side of Wuxi.
Random places to sleep.
But, when I feel like this, I always am reminded by how lucky I am to be here, experiencing these amazing opportunities which are making me learn and grow as a person. And, I have lots of things to look forward to - I'm off to Beijing this weekend for 4 days, in a month I will be sitting on the beach in the Phillippines, Mum will be arriving at the end of July for a much anticipated trip to Mongolia and here is the big one .................... I'm coming home for a holiday!!!! I wasn't planning to come home until Christmas but have decided that a dose of normality (whatever that may be!) will be much needed by the end of July.
Vain pet owners.
Regular massages.
PJs in public.
A city of 22 million people.
The newcomer - How cheap is the beer?!

1 comment:

Amy Martin said...

Stop stealing my new home! Hong Kong is NOT CHina! haha xo