Saturday 30 April 2011

Ah, the Royal Wedding ...


You either have loved the hype or hated it.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I've loved it.  In fact, prior to the wedding, I even bought one of those trashy magazines that documented Wills and Kate's relationship.  So, I was excited about finding somewhere to watch the proceedings whilst I was in Vancouver for the night.  I had planned a very royal like viewing of the wedding - breakfast, high tea style, at the Fairmont Hotel, a historic hotel with royal connections.  However, I wasn't quick enough in making a reservation, so I had to be content to watch it all at the hostel in which I was staying, with several drunk Australian males (who continued to embarrass our fine country with their drunken lewd commentary about the lovely Kate and her sister, Pippa) and a couple of British girls.  In order to watch this historic moment, I had to get up at 2.30 am.  There we sat for 3 hours, watching the ceremony, ooooing and ahhhing over Kate's dress and yawning through the long wait for THAT kiss, which, in the end, was fairly disappointing, given that it was such a brief peck (albeit two brief pecks).  It was indeed a beautiful ceremony and balcony appearance, and well worth the lack of sleep.  

No comments: