Friday 1 April 2011

Big names, big ideas ...

Apologies for the lack of blogging of late ... my brain has been otherwise occupied with learning at the annual ASCD conference in San Francisco.  For four very full days (8-6 each day), I listened as experts  threw around current buzz words in the world of education - digital native, 21st century skills, brain based learning, understanding by design - and discussed issues focused on life in American schools, namely budget cuts, the new Common Core initiative (national wide standards), turnaround schools (poor, under-performing schools come good), and the ever-present issue of standardised testing.  I had a strategy for this conference, after being a little disappointed with some of the presenters at last year's summer conference - I was only going to attend sessions by 'big name' presenters talking about big ideas in education.  I decided to avoid anything that promised to solve all educational problems in a certain number of steps.  I managed to achieve this and had the pleasure of listening to some very well spoken (albeit very fast) presenters who had some wonderful new ideas to contemplate.

No comments: