Tuesday 26 April 2011

Easter weekend ...

John Primer and band at The Blues Can (apologies for the grainy iphone photo)

Easter weekend proved to be one filled with a variety of odd, but fun, events.  On Friday, C and I debated the merits of minced onion, filtered sunlight, creme brulee and dune white as we contemplated which colour to paint his house.  The pressure was on, as the painter was to arrive on Monday morning, and we ended up calling in the interior decorator to receive some expert advice.  Eventually, misty air won the colour contest.  Good Friday evening was celebrated with barbequed salmon and a bottle of bubbles.

Saturday bought my first real life entry into the world of Meetup, which, for those not in the know, is kind of like internet dating, but for friendships.  I browsed around (so many to choose from!) and joined several groups - a '20s/30s girls who brunch' group and an 'Australian expat' group.  Which is how I found myself venturing into a new part of Calgary to meet 12 strangers for breakfast.  It turned out to be really fun, and I met some great girls.

On Saturday night, I had an overwhelming (but good) feeling of 'how the hell did I end up here?'  The whole evening felt a little bizarre - I was sitting in a Blues bar (The Blues Can - a big blue shed) with my Canadian boyfriend eating a delicious Deep South dinner of ribs and catfish, all while watching an old black Blues dude from Chicago playing old time blues, accompanied by a tall white girl playing the harmonica.  It was an odd feeling.

Sunday morning bought the discovery of a lovely new breakfast place - a rarity in Calgary, but more on that in another post.  Then, to finish the Easter weekend (Canadians don't take Easter Monday off), I jumped on a plane with the family to fly to Vancouver and then Salt Spring Island. 

Oh, what an odd but fun weekend it was!

No comments: