Thursday 28 April 2011

Breakfasting and brunching in Canada ...

One of the things that I miss most about Australia (apart from my family and friends, of course) is going out for breakfast.  Breakfasting and brunching is such a leisurely thing to do - spreading out the weekend papers, consuming multiple cups of tea and savouring the delights of a perfectly cooked poached egg or two on perfectly toasted sourdough, with a side of sauteed spinach and perhaps, if the previous evening's wine is getting the better of me, a naughty, fatty hash brown.

Brunch at the oh-so-lovely Uberfood in Wuxi, China


Since living in Canada, I've discovered that Canadians don't do breakfast or brunch well, which is odd given that 'Let's meet for brunch!' is a fairly common call and there are queues at most brunch places on Saturdays and Sundays.  They are great places if you're after a big greasy breakfast, laden with fried potatoes and buttered toast and washed down with coffee.  But, for most places, you get the feeling that you're there to eat and then leave.  No lingering with a second pot of tea and the weekend papers.  Which I find a bit disappointing.  But, if I'm going to be here in Canada for a while, I'm not giving up in my quest to find the perfect breakfast spot.

No comments: