Saturday 3 July 2010

An island adventure ....

Long Harbour

My brother often asks if I actually do any work and the answer is "Of course!"  The truth is that I do work.  In fact, I work very hard - I spend an intense 7 hours with the children each day and another hour or two planning and getting ready for the next day.  The reason I have so many adventures is that my free time is simply jam packed with exciting things.  Particularly here on the island, where I spend most of my spare time with the family.  Plus, it doesn't hurt that I live in such a spectacular place.


Private docks


The picnic site

Today's adventure was blessed with the first hint of summery weather - blue skies and the beautiful warmth of the sun.  The day began with a pancake breakfast party to celebrate Canada Day at a beautiful property in Long Harbour, about 20 minutes by boat from Deadman Island.  Here, I sampled a Canadian breakfast of pancakes piled high with bacon, sausages and maple syrup.  Interesting combination.  Following breakfast, I offered to help the children rowing on the lagoon but I think I hindered more than helped.

A warm lagoon


Hidden houses

Following a wonderful morning soaking up the sunshine, we headed into Ganges, the main town on Salt Spring Island.  Summer time Saturday mornings bring all the locals and summer residents into town for the famous Salt Spring market where farmers sell their produce and local artists promote their wares.  We were too late for most of the healthy produce but there were still plenty of not-so-healthy home baked goods for us to sample.

According to local sources, this is Barbara Streisand's boat.  Check out the helicopter!


Ganges Harbour

The afternoon provided great people watching as hippies and well-to-do summer visitors mingled together in the sunshine.  As we sat and watched the goings-on, B. and I tried to define the word 'hippy' and had fun categorising people based on the number of facial piercings, the cleanliness of their hair, and the presence of underarm hair in the women.  Salt Spring also produces an enormous amount of marijuana, which further adds to the hippy label.  We had an interesting encounter with an old hippy who makes wooden contraptions that are spun in front of your closed eyes, causing you to see strange pyschedelic patterns.   A weird sensation.

The famous Salt Spring market


Pyschedelic lighting experience

I must not be used to the summer sunshine because I returned from today's adventure feeling a little weary and ready for an afternoon nap.  No rest for the wicked though, another dinner is on the cards tonight.  Tomorrow, however, I will return to 'work' mode and do some planning and catch up on my uni reading.  So, while I do work, I somehow manage to fit a lot of adventures into my spare time.


Funky music




2 comments:

Helene said...

Hi Anna -- thanks for the nice write-up about Salt Spring Island and the market! If your friends and blog readers want more info, they'll find lots of friendly links on http://saltspringmarket.com

See you there ;)

Anna Davidson said...

Hi Helene, thanks for the link .... I look forward to going to the Tuesday market too! It is a beautiful part of the world.