Sunday 4 July 2010

North American menus ....

A 'doughboy' - 10 year old B. convinced me that this was a 'must have' at the Salt Spring market.  For me, it was a 'once only' experience.  If this doughboy was on a menu, it would be described as being 'piled high with fruit and smothered in berry sauce and whipped cream' (unfortunately, the stall had run out of whipped cream)

When you travel and therefore dine on your own, there is plenty of time to people watch and read the menu.  Recently, I have noticed a theme in the language used in North American menus.  The language consistently refers to the quantity and size of the menu items.  Terms such as 'loaded with', 'smothered with', 'bottomless' and 'piled high' pop up on these menus with alarming frequency.  Perhaps there is a link between this and America's obesity rate?!  Obviously, this observance has been made in mid-range restaurants, not high class places like Ilili or Giorgione, two places that I was lucky enough to visit during my stay in New York.  Perhaps, I need to find a dining companion so that I can occupy my time with conversation rather than analysing the menu?!

No comments: