Tuesday 6 July 2010

The joy of learning ....

School time on the island


The island really is a magical place to learn.  There is something just so cosy and joyful about having 'school' in a cottage in the middle of the woods on an island.  Or going to the beach for a reading session.  R, B and I are getting right back to the heart and soul of learning - asking questions, reading, exploring ideas and playing games.  A huge benefit of home-schooling is not having to rigidly stick to particular units of study.  We have complete freedom to build the curriculum around the children's interests and wherever we are in the world.  Right now, Ten year old B is fascinated by the world wars, so we're jumping straight into high school history with a unit on World War I.  I'm a little nervous about it given my lack of historical knowledge.  Six year old R and I are reading and exploring fairy tales - tomorrow, we are hiking the 'Fairy Door' track again to spend time reading and gathering inspiration for our own fairy tale.  My only worry is ... how will I ever go back into a classroom again?!

No comments: