Sunday 11 July 2010

Stampede arrives ...


Calgary Stampede float

Friday marked the beginning of the 2010 Calgary Stampede, one of the world's most famous rodeos.  The Stampede began with a huge parade through downtown Calgary.  Most businesses are closed and the entire downtown shuts down.  The Stampede parade is a big deal.  The family organised for the nanny, polo groom and myself to tag along on a bus that had been arranged to take a big group of family and friends into the city to our pre-purchased seats.  No dealing with downtown traffic or lining up in the heat for us!  Over-decorated floats, marching bands and plenty of horses (750 in total) made up most of the parade entries.  I think that all of Calgary's Scottish population were in the parade - I counted at least 6 bagpipe bands (5 too many for my liking) plus plenty of highland dancers.  My favourite parade entries were the native Indians on horseback and the dressage looking horses (I'm not sure what or who they were representing).  We left the parade after a couple of hours because it was extremely hot and apparently the parade was only half way through.   The parade was great but I think it was probably a once only experience.  Now, where can I go to find some bucking horses and a cowboy or two?

Flag bearing cowgirls

Cowboys

Indian float

An Australian band?  Where are their Aussie uniforms?

Ooooo, beautiful horses - my favourite

Ice hockey float

Miniature ponies

Chinese float

Previous winners of Stampede Queen and Stampede Princess

Native Indians - I loved their head dresses

Appaloosa riding club

Brazilian float

More Stampede Queens and Princesses

Army tanks - these guys did a donut in their tanks, very cool to watch

Solar car

Can't have a rodeo parade without a bull

Bagpipe bands

Highland dancers

And a few more cowboys

1 comment:

Jared said...

I've always wanted to get to a Stampede. Sounds like you're having a great time!