Saturday 10 July 2010

One day in Vancouver ...

Sunrise over the Gulf Islands

On Thursday morning, it was time to say goodbye to the Gulf Islands and continue on my adventure.  Since we were flying out of Vancouver back to Calgary, I decided to fly in a few hours before the family to squeeze in some sightseeing.  I was very keen to see Vancouver after many Australians had commented that it reminded them of Melbourne or Sydney.  The first sea plane into Vancouver offered a spectacular view as we flew over the Gulf Islands and past snow capped mountains, to land in the middle of Downtown Vancouver.  

Gulf Islands from the air


Heading into Vancouver


Since I only had a few hours, I decided to rent a bike so I could cover as much space as possible.  I began by cycling around Stanley Park, which many people had recommended.  The views of the mountains and harbour were wonderful.  The beaches weren't anything special, but thanks to the hot weather, many people were sun baking and swimming.  I reached the end of Stanley Park and decided to keep following the seawall to see where I would end up.  Without a map, I was a little worried when the sea wall ran out but kept going, using the mountains to gauge my location.  Tackling Vancouver this way gave me a great sense of the city and thanks to my moments of mapless disorientation, I found myself cycling through some pretty residential areas, Chinatown and Gastown before finally ending up back in Coal Harbour where I began my journey.  


Vancouver Harbour


Doesn't it look like Hobart?


So, did I think Vancouver was more like Melbourne or Sydney?  Well, I couldn't see any physical resemblance to Melbourne but I'm sure that there are plenty of cultural activities happening in Vancouver that would rival Melbourne's cultural scene.  I can see the similarities to Sydney, with the city being based around the water.  But the Australian city that Vancouver really reminded me of was Hobart, just on a bigger scale.  The harbour surrounded by the mountains really made me feel homesick for Hobart, something that I haven't felt for a long time.

Downtown Vancouver

Riding around Stanley Park

Canada Place

Olympic Torch


Odd sculptures dotted Downtown Vancouver



Gastown


No comments: