Tuesday 13 July 2010

A typical Calgary 'country' weekend ...

Is summer here at last?!  View from the ranch, looking towards the Rockies

As to be expected, a typical weekend in the 'country' is very different to a city weekend.  I'm lucky that I have the opportunity to experience new and interesting things while I'm here in Calgary.  After a frantic 3 weeks in Florida and the Gulf Islands, I was after a quiet weekend.  I began my weekend with a visit to the Millarville farmers market, where I stocked up with delicious fresh fruits and vegetables from southern Alberta and nearby towns in British Columbia.  Following the market, I headed to the polo fields to have a second attempt at hitting the ball.  I am proud to say that my skills have improved greatly and I can now hit the ball at a canter.  Give me a few weeks and I may throw myself into a game!

The tough course in The Mercedes Cup

After a lazy morning on Sunday, I headed into the 'city' to purchase a cowgirl outfit - boots, a hat and some 'Rock and Roll Cowgirl' jeans, complete with bling on the back pockets (apparently, bling is 'in' for the Stampede this year).  Sunday afternoon proved to be warm and sunny, so I made my way to Spruce Meadows to watch the last competition, The Mercedes Cup, of one of the biggest events of the year.  The course was huge and very tough - there were no clear rounds.  After the competition, we went to the onsite bar where we met Ron Southern, the founder of Spruce Meadows.  He explained to us that in 22 years of competition in The Mercedes Cup there have only been 19 clear rounds.  It was a terrific afternoon of great competition.  So there you have it ... a lovely, relaxed 'country' weekend.

No comments: