Sunday 16 May 2010

Central Park and West Village .....



South west corner of the park

On Friday, the sun was shining, so I headed into Central Park for a morning of exploration.  Central Park is just so big, despite the fact that I walked for an entire morning, I really only covered the west side of the park.  It is like a giant wonderland, every corner you turn, there is something different - a playground, a 'quiet' area, people playing baseball, a puppet theatre, an ampitheatre, people running around the tracks, horse drawn carriages.  It was never ending!  The park is a beautiful oasis in the middle of the city and it is amazing to see so many people enjoying the park. 

Horse drawn carriages are everywhere throughout the park


A lake near the centre of the park

The park is surrounded by beautiful old buildings

Midtown Manhattan skyline

So many cute bridges

Jackie Onassis reservoir - where Charlotte from SATC runs

 
The bridle path that winds through the park for horse riders

After a morning of walking, I made my way to my next destination, The Hungarian Pastry shop, where I indulged in a piece of sacher torte, a divine chocolate cake.  I also took a huge slice of baklava for afternoon tea - lucky I'm doing lots of walking!  The pastry shop was filled with students from the nearby Ivy League university, Columbia University.  There were great views across the road to the St John the Divine cathedral.

The Hungarian Pastry Shop


St John the Divine Cathedral


 
St John the Divine cathedral


 In the afternoon, I headed across to the West Village to meet one of my brother's friends for lunch.  We hadn't seen each other for 10 years, so we had great fun catching up on old times over lunch and a few drinks.  The West Village is a stunning area, it's where I think I'd want to live if I ever lived in New York.  The buildings are beautiful, the streets are all tree lined and the area is filled with cute shops and great cafes.  Next update - I get a solid dose of art viewing and experience fine dining, New York style.

 West Village

 West Village

 West Village

 West Village



No comments: