Friday 14 May 2010

Obama and I head to downtown Manhattan

Downtown Manhattan from the Ellis Island ferry

Well, I'm sure he was here attending to very important matters while I was pounding the pavement exploring the area.  I bought a ticket for the Liberty Island/Ellis Island ferry and joined the long queue. I declined a visit to the Statue of Liberty, happy to snap some pictures from the ferry (and avoid the countless overly energetic school children). 

It seems you can be anyone in New York, even the Stature of Liberty if you like!


The real thing

So, I stayed on the ferry and headed to Ellis Island, something I was really looking forward to doing.  The buildings on the island are gorgeous and I love hearing all the immigration stories.  The island is actually quite large but many of the buildings are not open to the public.  The visit was a nice follow up to the New York City Museum, where the stories of immigrants was a big highlight.   I spent a good proportion of the day on Ellis Island before heading back to Manhattan.  The story of New York's immigrants prompted me to buy my one and only New York souvenir - a copy of 'How the other half live' by Jacob Riis, a book published in 1890 depicting how the poor immigrants lived during the time.  The photographs, many of which I saw on Ellis Island and in the museum, are particularly haunting.

The registry hall at Ellis Island - a beautiful building

Looking from the registry hall to the hospitals



Rundown hospital building

The rest of the day was spent exploring the lower half of Manhattan.  I visited Wall Street and giggled as the investment bankers emerged from the New York Stock Exchange like celebrities.  As they smoothed their hair and slipped on their designer sunglasses, tourists snapped pictures of them before they continued on through the security gates that surround the area.


New York Stock Exchange


Brooklyn Bridge

A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge was a must.  What an amazing bridge (I never thought I'd say that about a bridge) - the symmetry was so beautiful.  I found it difficult not to walk without looking up all the time.  The bridge was busy with people walking and cycling home as well as tourists annoying the locals with their constant stopping to ooh and ahh.  It was here that I encountered Obama, or at least his presence.  Part of the bridge was closed so that Obama's entourage could drive below it.  It created quite a buzz as the word spread through the crowd.  It was easy to spot the locals and tourists during this time - the tourists thought it was all quite exciting, but the locals were all worried about how long they would have to wait, "me, me, me".  It was like they were the only ones waiting.  It didn't do much to squash the American stereotype of arrogance.

Obama's protectors

Obama's crew

After a quick dinner and glass of wine in SoHo, I ventured back to Times Square to see another show, 'The Phantom of the Opera' this time.  Both shows were fantastic albeit the atmosphere very touristy - On Wednesday night, I withdrew my request for a glass of wine when I realised it came in a Mary Poppins plastic cup with a straw.

Downtown Manhattan

No comments: