Tuesday 18 May 2010

Who are you?

Last night, as I was sitting writing on my blog and reflecting on what a wonderful day I had just finished (next blog entry), a lovely lady who I had run into earlier that day, sat down next to me and we had a chat about our day.  About 10 minutes after she left, I realised that she had kindly relieved my of my wallet - including my passport, credit cards and a whole lot of cash.  How thoughtful of her.  So, my patience, resourcefulness and crying threshold have all been tested in the last 24 hours.  I had to cancel my trip to Martha's Vineyard where I was looking forward to two nights of bliss at the Hob Knob with no snoring companions.  Instead, I'm in a $28 a night prison like hostel (the glossy exterior and fabulous location only just make up for the narrow top bunk with no safety rail) in New York ready to go to the Australian Consulate tomorrow morning.

Today, I've learnt that without your passport or drivers licence, you are nobody.  It's like you have never existed.  I went to sort out my Canadian bank cards and was asked for ID - 'Ah, it was also stolen'.  Checking into the hostel was also a challenge, but I managed to charm my way with a pile of random documents such as train and plane tickets.

Throughout the day, I've been trying to think about the positives.  I get to spend two more days in New York (the hostel is right next to Central Park so the long awaited run will be taken).  That's the only real positive but it is also a lesson learnt - take a copy of your passport with you, wear those daggy money belts, don't carry so much cash and keep separate cards (this, I had done thankfully, albeit cards with no money on them!).

There is a happy ending to this story though.  Just before I sat down to write this blog, I had an email from the hostel in Boston - the Boston Post Office has my wallet!  My passport is in it, but they are not sure about the cash and cards.  So, instead of spending tomorrow at the Consulate, I will be organising my wallet to be sent down to New York (hopefully not going to collect it - I don't fancy an 8 hour return train ride).  A lesson learned and not too much damage down. 

No comments: