Monday 31 May 2010

Montreal, take two ....

Montreal from Parc du Mont Royal

It was with a reluctance that I headed back to Montreal after a wonderful 3 days in Quebec City.  However, with low expectations and a desire to really enjoy my last two days of holidays, I did have a good time.  The weather was stunning, so I spent a lot of time walking through the Parc du Mont Royal, a hill in the centre of Montreal.  The park was designed by the same landscape architect, Frederick Law, who designed Central Park.  It was filled with hundreds of small paths, which provides a welcome relief from the heat.  The view of the city was spectacular.

One of the many narrow and windy paths on Parc du Mont Royal


A peek through the trees towards the city

On my second day, I had a long, lazy brunch at a beautiful cafe in Old Montreal.  Croissants, tea, a good book - a great way to start my last day of holidays.  In the afternoon, I walked along the Lachine Canal to the Saint Amand paper mill, which is owned and operated by R's (my boss) cousin.  Here, I was lucky enough to have a tour of the mill and learn about how the paper is made - all from old material scraps and natural fibres such as linen and straw!  

Old Montreal



Habitat 67 - built in 1967 and designed by Moshe Safdie, a 24 architect originally from Palestine.  Apparently, it is a very popular place to live.

In the evenings, I strolled through the streets of Old Montreal, where the buildings are displayed beautifully with lights.  At this time of day, there is a great atmosphere with all the restaurants and bars bustling and competing for the pleasure of filling your stomach. 

Old Montreal at night


Although there is no chance of Montreal topping my 'favourite city' list, it was an enjoyable two days and it definitely pays to give a city a second chance!

No comments: