Wednesday 12 May 2010

New York, New York!

Wet horse and carriage drivers waiting for customers

Well, it's rainy, windy and grey .... it feels just like a wintery Melbourne day.  But, it's New York!  The vibrancy and energetic pace of this city, despite the rain, is just amazing.  It was a perfect 'museum' day today, so after a typical American breakfast of a bagel with cream cheese and jelly (jam), I headed down Fifth Avenue towards the Museum Mile.  The street was filled with glamorous stick thin blond women whose oversized sunglasses made up for their miniscule dogs.  They wore glamorous gumboots on their feet. 

John Lindsay, New York's mayor in the 1960s and 1970s

Every other tourist in New York seemed to have the same idea as me because line outside my first stop, the Guggenheim was stretched around the block.  Not willing to wait in the rain, I kept walking up to the New York City Museum.  It was a good place to start because as an 'I'm not interested in America' kind of girl, I had no idea of the history behind The Big Apple.  The museum was great, I watched a 30 minute film about the beginning of the city and then wandered through their two exhibits.  The first was about John Lindsay, one of New York's mayors.  The second was about Charles Addams, the creator of the Addams family.  Both were beautifully presented and fun to wander through.

Charles Addams exhibition - creator of the Addams family and famous New Yorker cartoonist


Lovely Fifth Avenue apartment

I headed back to the Guggenheim where the lines only reached the doorway.  I figured it would be busy anyway, so I ventured in.  The building itself is beautiful, each level winds its way upwards following the main exhibit.  Off to each side are other exhibits.  The main exhibition was called 'Haunted' and showed different ways that photography is being interpreted in art.  There were some interesting pieces and some odd pieces.  I saw several Picassos and other big name painters.  My favourites were 'Orange Disaster' by Andy Warhol and 'Morning in the Village after Snowstorm' by Russian artist Kazimir Malevich.

Guggenheim museum



Rockefeller Tower

Sick of walking, I caught the bus back into midtown Manhattan and warmed up by wandering around the Rockefeller Centre.  Now, I'm in Times Square, amongst the glitz and the glamour. waiting to head to the theatre to see Mary Poppins tonight.  Let's hope a little magic from Mary can bring some sunshine tomorrow!

Times Square

Mary Poppins

2 comments:

Warrick said...

New York; how fun! I recommend the FRICK, and the walk back over Brooklyn Bridge back towards Manhattan, and the old fashioned dioramas of the Museum of Natural History and the Strand Bookshop, and Zabars deli, and Washington Square and ... oh, everything really!

Anna Davidson said...

So much to see and do in NY Warrick! I am already planning a return trip .... so will add those recommendations to the list.