Saturday 12 December 2009

Elevator entertainment .....

The electric elevator uses matters needing attention
I live on the 26th floor so I spend a lot of time going up and down in the lift. The lift in my apartment building is pretty slow, so going all the way up to or down from the 26th floor gives me plenty of time to observe my fellow lift travellers and their behaviours. There are the guys who smoke in the lift, right next to the 'No Smoking' sign. There are the polite smokers who butt out their cigarette before getting into the lift, but not before blowing a puff of smoke into the lift. There are the families with small children whose parents force them to say 'Nihao ayi' to me, despite the fact that the child is terrified of the white girl. There are the young people who want to practice their English. There are the old people who are lovely and polite, despite the fact that I don't understand them and they don't understand me. There is the woman with the Dalmation dog who takes the poor dog out for a run each day to escape apartment life. There are the people who make no attempt to hide their stares at the white girl who lives in their apartment building. But, my favourite people to travel in the lift with are the ones who are so impatient that they feel the need to lean over me and my bike every time the door opens so that they can frantically press the 'close door' button - just be patient people.

No comments: