Monday 7 December 2009

Local connections ......

Winter waltzing

Every night, year round, a group of older Chinese people gather on the pavement in Wuxi Xintiandi (a largish 'international' shopping complex) and dance. The music comes from a stereo perched on the back of a bicycle. From about 6 o'clock till 8 o'clock, couples and singles dance, occasionally taking breaks to sit and chat, while watching the dancing. I love this daily community ritual and often sit to watch the dancing on my way home from the gym. The enjoyment and good health that is gained from such a simple community activity is obviously a benefit. But, I think it is wonderful that these people take the time out of their day to simply enjoy themselves whilst others are rushing past them, a million things racing through their minds.

Spectators watch and do their own little jig on the side lines
Line dancing
Normally, when I sit and watch, there are very few stares and murmurs of 'laowai'. Last night was different though. I was waiting to meet a friend for dinner and I sat down to watch for a little bit. I took a couple of photos which always interests people, so I showed the pictures to the more curious dancers and spectators. One woman looked at me as she left the dance floor, so I gave her a little clap and cry of ‘hen hao!’ (‘very good!’). Next thing I know, I am being pulled up onto the dancing stage and being waltzed around the other couples. The best thing about this spontaneous experience was the fact that not one person gave me a ‘there’s a laowai’ look (well, at least I think they didn’t, I was too looking at my feet and trying not to step on her feet!).
Music source
Fruit shop lady
It is these encounters with the local people that make me so happy here in China. My daily conversations with the fruit shop lady who has helped me to improve my Chinese, the morning and nightly exchange of greetings with the guards at my apartment building, Emma from Templeside hostel in Beijing and of course, my favourite person in Beijing, Xie who drove us around in his immaculate taxi. I will remember all of these people and their friendly, smiling faces for a long time to come!
Xie, Beijing taxi driver

No comments: