Sunday 20 December 2009

Wuxi is a good place ......

This statement was posted on a flashing neon sign on the back of a taxi last week. It was quite a fitting sign to see a few days before I left China and it made me think back on my time in this Chinese city that has been omitted from the Lonely Planet. Wuxi is a good place, it may not be Beijing or Shanghai, but it was my home for 18 months and I did grow to really enjoy it. Despite occasional grumbles about the lack of western infrastructure, I am so glad that I lived in Wuxi rather than one of the bigger cities. Living in a small (of 6+ million people!) Chinese city meant that I experienced more of the local culture, I had to learn the language, I ate in local restaurants and I made close connections with the local people. I would have been less likely to have these experiences in larger cities such as Shanghai, where it is much easier to live a very westernised lifestyle. So, here are some pictures to celebrate Wuxi as a good place.
Wuxi is home to the Giant Buddha

No comments: